Barbara A. Olson is an experienced Twin Cites Tax Lawyer who has nearly 25 years experience in tax compliance and planning.
She spent nearly 10 years working for the Office of Chief Counsel for the Internal Revenue Service as a senior attorney litigating income tax cases before the U. S. Tax Court, advising the IRS on collection and criminal issues, and acting as a Special Assistance U. S. Attorney for purposes of representing the IRS in U. S. Bankruptcy Court.
After completing an LLM in Taxation from New York University, she worked for Cargill, Inc., first in its Law Department and then its Tax Department dealing with Federal, State and International tax planning and compliance issues.
Her tax practice currently focuses on assisting individuals and businesses with their various tax planning and compliance issues, including the following areas:
- Investments in limited liability companies and partnerships
- Collection Matters
- Innocent Spouse Defense
- Offers in Compromise
- Advice in divorce
- Federal and State Tax audits and Appeals
- U. S. Tax Court and Minnesota Tax Court litigation
- Sales and Acquisitions
- Taxation of Financial Instrument Trading
- Acting as an expert witness in federal and state litigation relating to tax issues.